CHEESY, SPROUTED SOURDOUGH ROLLS: MONKEY BREAD STYLE
- Favorite Sourdough Bread (enough for two 9X5 loaves of bread) or Roll Recipe (I use this one but sub sprouted flour for whole wheat).
- 2-3 cups grated Sharp Cheddar, or other favorite cheese
- 3/4 cups melted butter
- dried herbs, like Italian seasoning (optional)
- Bundt pan or angel food pan
- Mix all your bread ingredients together and form into a ball and let rise for 3 hours in an oiled bowl or until doubled in size.
- Cut the dough ball in half and set aside one half.
- Roll out your dough into a large rectangle.
- Cover with 1/3 cup butter, sprinkle on herbs if using and cheese. Make sure to go all the way to the edges.
- Starting at one of the long sides, roll up your dough into a tight log.
- Cut dough into 1 inch slices (I use a piece of floss as shown here.)
- Gently brush on 1/6 cup of the butter onto all the pieces. (your hands will get pretty buttery here…)
- Lay the pieces into your buttered bundt or angel food pan.
- Repeat with the other half of dough.
- Let your dough rise for 3-4 hours or until doubles again.
- Bake at 375 F for 35-40 minutes. It should be very browned on top.
- Immediately empty the bread from the pan after baking. One or two rolls might fall off… just eat them!