Citrus juice and water kefir have a delicious affinity for one another. The slightly sweet and fermented beverage just cries out for a hit of tangy brightness. This gelatin dessert combines the two in a delicious dessert or snack that you can gladly hand out any time of day.
INGREDIENTS AND EQUIPMENT AVAILABLE AT CULTURES FOR HEALTH
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups water kefir, (less with orange or grapefruit juice, more with lemon or lime juice)
Citrus fruit juice (choose one)
- 1/2 cup lemon or lime juice
- 1 cup orange or grapefruit juice
- 4 Tbsp. raw honey, to taste
- 5 Tbsp. gelatin powder
- Combine 2 cups water kefir (2-1/2 cups with lemon or lime) with the citrus juice, whisking well. Taste and add as much honey as desired.
- Pour 1 cup water kefir into a small saucepan. Sprinkle the gelatin powder over the top and put over a very low burner. The mixture should be just barely warm in order to dissolve the gelatin powder and to protect the beneficial probiotics and enzymes of the water kefir.
- Once the gelatin begins to dissolve, remove from heat and whisk well, scraping bottom and sides of pan.
- Once gelatin has completely dissolved, combine with the water kefir-citrus juice mixture. Pour the liquid into a large glass bowl or baking dish, then place immediately in the refrigerator to chill for 4-8 hours.
Once set, serve cold, plain or with whipped cultured cream or whipped coconut cream.