Put this simple, delicious soup together in a flash with ingredients you probably always have in your pantry. The addition of homemade cream cheese makes it extra special and creamy, but you can use any good cream cheese or even yogurt cheese. Serve with some sourdough crackers for a warm and satisfying lunch.
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 small clove garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 (6-ounce) cans or jars of tomato paste
- 1 quart organic vegetable broth, homemade or premade
- 2 tsp. dried basil, crushed
- 1 tsp. salt
- 8 ounces 8 ounces cream cheese or yogurt cheese
- 1 Tbsp. or a few drops pure stevia extract
- In a medium-size saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, just until garlic starts to brown. Do not let the garlic get brown or it takes on an undesirable flavor. Remove pan from heat.
- Stir in tomato paste, vegetable broth, garlic, basil, and salt; return pan to heat.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture starts to boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in cream cheese. Use an immersion blender if you want a very smooth consistency. Add sugar to taste.
- Keep warm over very low heat until ready to serve.