This staple condiment is delicious and full of fermentation goodness when created with whey. Mix yellow and brown mustard seeds to create more or less sharpness in the mustard. Yellow mustard seeds have a milder flavor.
INGREDIENTS AND EQUIPMENT AVAILABLE AT CULTURES FOR HEALTH
- 1 cup whole mustard seeds
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup raw apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. raw honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup whey
- 2 Tbsp. sea salt
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about two medium lemons)
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- With a blender or food processor on pulse setting, >partially grind
- Add the water, vinegar, sweetener, whey, citrus juice, and spices to the blender and process for 1 minute.
- Place the mustard into glass jars leaving one inch of headroom. Cover the jars tightly.
- Place the jars on the counter to ferment at room temperature for 2 to 3 days.
Transfer the jars to the refrigerator for storage and use as desired.