Everyone shoudl learn how to make tofu at home. Made from soybeans, homemade tofu is an inexpensive and nourishing, protein-rich food. Low in fat, tofu is versatile and also offers numerous health advantages – from being rich in phytonutrients to being a great food alternative to those with milk allergies.
A little less than a pound of tofu
INGREDIENTS AND EQUIPMENT AVAILABLE AT CULTURES FOR HEALTH
Tofu Kit With Tofu Box
Tofu Kit With Tofu Box
This tofu kit contains supplies to make tofu at home: a handcrafted Japanese cypress tofu box, a cotton straining bag, and enough liquid nigari for 24 batches of tofu.
One of the benefits of making your own tofu is "okara," the high fiber and protein solids that are left behind after the soy milk has been strained off. Just add soy milk to get started, making fresh tofu with this kit.
Equipment in the kit may appear different than pictured.
Japanese Nigari Flakes
Japanese Nigari Flakes
A natural coagulent for making tofu, these Japanese nigari flakes make a firm, tender tofu. This 1lb bag will make many batches of tofu.
How To Make Tofu
Tofu is a high-quality, plant-based protein low in calories and cholesterol and a good source of iron and calcium. Making your tofu is easy and economical; plus, you can control the ingredients and flavor. Download our free cookbooks today to make your delicious tofu at home.
With only a few tofu ingredients, making tofu at home is easy. Below, we highlight the tofu ingredients that you’ll need for homemade tofu, as well as directions for making tofu, and some additional, helpful tips to keep in mind.
TIPS FOR MAKING HOMEMADE TOFU
- The amount of coagulant used will influence the texture of the final product: For instance, more coagulant will produce firmer tofu, while less coagulant will produce softer tofu.
- If you plan to consume the tofu within 24 hours of it being made, there is no need to store it in water.
- To give the tofu a more interesting, fibrous texture, cover the tofu in water in a sealable container and place in the freezer. Thaw when ready to use.
HOMEMADE TOFU INGREDIENTS:
- 2 quarts soy milk
- Coagulant (choose one of the following)
- 2 tsp. Terra Alba aka Gypsum (Calcium Sulphate) OR
- 1 tsp. Nigari Flakes (Magnesium Chloride) OR
- 1/2 tsp. Liquid Nigari (Magnesium Chloride)
INSTRUCTIONS FOR HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADETOFU:
- Boil the soy milk for 5 minutes and then let it cool to 160-175°F (70-80°C) degrees. Learn how to make soy milk to make tofu straight from soybeans!
- If you are making soy milk using a soy milk maker, there is no need to boil the milk again.
- Dissolve the coagulant of your choice in a cup of warm water--do not let it set too long!
- Mix the water and coagulant mixture into the hot soy milk. Gently stir the milk but do not over mix. Allow the mixture to sit undisturbed for 15-25 minutes.
- While the mixture sits, small white curds will separate from amber colored liquid.
- Once the process is complete, transfer the curds into a molding container lined with cheesecloth or a similar fabric. Fold the fabric over the curds and place a small weight on top to begin pressing out the liquid. Allow the mixture to be pressed by the weight for 20-30 minutes or until it holds together. Remove the block of tofu from the mold.
You can make a firmer tofu by putting more weight on the mold and letting the tofu drain longer. The more liquid you remove from the tofu, the firmer your final tofu will be.
- If you don't plan to consume the tofu the same day that you make it, store it in a container filled with cold water in the refrigerator. Change this soaking water daily until you consume your tofu.
TIME TO START MAKINGHOMEMADE TOFU
Now that you know exactly how to make tofu, you just need the ingredients. Lucky for you – we’ve got you covered.
Cultures for Health has the largest selection of tofu products from our Nigari Flakes to our amazing Mitoku Home Tofu Kit – we have everything you need.
The Mitoku Home Tofu Kit is perfect for a beginner as it has everything a newbie would need to get started making their own tofu from home.
- Handcrafted tofu box made from the finest Japanese cypress wood
- Wooden lid
- 100% cotton straining bag and pressing cloth
- 12 nigari packs (12.5ml liquid nigari in each pack): enough to make 24 blocks of fresh tofu
This is even great for an experienced tofu maker as it’s an amazing piece to hold all of your tofu tools and ingredients all in one place.
Do you want to make your own delicious and healthy tofu? Download our free cookbooks today to get started.