WHAT IS TOFU?
Made from soybeans, tofu is an inexpensive and nourishing, protein-rich food. Low in fat, tofu is versatile and also offers numerous health advantages – from being rich in phytonutrients to being a great food alternative to those with milk allergies.
WHY MAKE TOFU AT HOME?
With only a few ingredients, making tofu at home is easy. Below, we highlight the ingredients that you’ll need for homemade tofu, as well as directions for making tofu, and some additional, helpful tips to keep in mind.
TIPS FOR MAKING TOFU
- The amount of coagulant used will influence the texture of the final product: For instance, more coagulant will produce firmer tofu, while less coagulant will produce softer tofu.
- If you plan to consume the tofu within 24 hours of it being made, there is no need to store it in water.
- To give the tofu a more fibrous texture, cover the tofu in water in a sealable container and place in the freezer. Thaw when ready to use.
- Boil the soy milk for 5 minutes and then let it cool to 160-175°F (70-80°C) degrees.
- If you are making soy milk using a soy milk maker, there is no need to boil the milk again.
- Dissolve the coagulant of your choice in a cup of warm water--do not let it set too long!
- Mix the water and coagulant mixture into the hot soy milk. Gently stir the milk but do not over mix. Allow the mixture to sit undisturbed for 15-25 minutes.
- While the mixture sits, small white curds will separate from amber colored liquid.
- Once the process is complete, transfer the curds into a molding container lined with cheesecloth or a similar fabric. Fold the fabric over the curds and place a small weight on top to begin pressing out the liquid. Allow the mixture to be pressed by the weight for 20-30 minutes or until it holds together. Remove the block of tofu from the mold.
- If you don't plan to consume the tofu the same day that you make it, store it in a container filled with cold water in the refrigerator. Change this soaking water daily until you consume your tofu.
TIME TO START MAKING TOFU AT HOME WITH CULTURES FOR HEALTH
Now that you know exactly how to make tofu, you just need the ingredients. Lucky for you – we’ve got you covered.
The Mitoku Home Tofu Kit is perfect for a beginner as it has everything a newbie would need to get started making their own tofu from home.
- Handcrafted tofu box made from the finest Japanese cypress wood
- Wooden lid
- 100% cotton straining bag and pressing cloth
- 12 nigari packs (12.5ml liquid nigari in each pack): enough to make 24 blocks of fresh tofu
This is even great for an experienced tofu maker as it’s an amazing piece to hold all of your tofu tools and ingredients all in one place.