Without the addition of cream, this gratin is lighter and fresher, perfect for the start of summer. So easy to toss together, this dish is a simply perfect vegetarian lunch or supper side dish.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Oil a 13x9-inch glass pan with a little olive oil or butter.
- Slice the squash and potatoes into very thin slices – no more than ⅛ inch. Place the slices into a medium-sized bowl and toss with the oil.
- Pour half the contents of the bowl into the oiled pan, spreading evenly.
- Crumble the goat cheese into large chunks; spread half evenly over the squash and potatoes. Salt and pepper this layer, and then spread the rest of the veggies atop the cheese.
- Scatter the remaining chunks of cheese evenly over the dish, salt and pepper, and pour the milk over the entire dish. Top with parmesan and cover with foil.
- Bake 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes more, or until the top begins to turn golden brown.
Scatter with fresh basil before serving.