You can be a master on the grill, but you always need the perfect burger bun to complement those skills! These buns are perfectly fluffy and have thatsourdough twang that we all know and love. It’s time to spice up your next cookout or barbecue!
INGREDIENTS AND EQUIPMENT AVAILABLE AT CULTURES FOR HEALTH
The perfect accompaniment to a good hamburger is a good bun: soft and flavorful, with enough body to stand up to condiments. These sourdough buns are fast and easy to make.
Download our Sourdough Recipe book today and discover the richness of whole wheat and the tang of sourdough in a delicious burger bun. With just a few simple ingredients and easy-to-follow instructions, you'll make amazing buns in no time!
Equipment To Make Sesame Burger Buns
Whole Wheat Sourdough Bun Ingredients
- 1 cup fresh sourdough starter
- 1 1/2 tbsp softened butter
- 1/4 cup lukewarm milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white flour or bread flour
- Sesame seeds (optional)
How to Make Whole Wheat Sourdough Sesame Buns For Burgers
- Stir together sourdough starter, butter, milk, egg, sugar, and salt. Don’t worry if there are still some chunks of butter in the mixture.
- Add the flour, 1/2 cup at a time, mixing with a spoon until it comes together enough to turn out onto a bread board or clean countertop.
- Knead the dough until it is smooth and satiny, about 10-20 minutes.
- (Optional) Refrigerate the dough for up to 24 hours to get a more flavorful bun. Bring it back to room temperature before continuing.
- Let the dough rest at room temperature for 15-20 minutes, then roll it out 1/2 inch thick.
- Use a 3- or 4-inch biscuit cutter to cut bun shapes and transfer them to an ungreased baking sheet. Re-roll the dough and cut more shapes until all the dough has been used.
- (Optional) Press a light layer of sesame seeds gently into the buns.
- Cover the buns lightly and let rise until doubled in bulk – between 1 and 4 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake buns 20-25 minutes.
- Cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling. Cool completely before slicing in half horizontally.
Cut the buns in half, butter the inside, and toast or grill it for a minute or two. These buns will be the perfect addition to any backyard barbecue! Try it out and tag us in your final product on Instagram and TikTok@culturesforhealth