How many of us have kids who just LOVE string cheese? Did you know you can make it yourself with an ordinary mozzarella recipe? You'll be surprised at how string cheese is made and pleased at how much you'll save by following our string cheese recipes. An added bonus: No plastic packaging!
String cheese is a delicious, healthy snack that's perfect for any time of day. Click to download our Cheesemaking Recipe Book to start making your string cheese at home.
STRETCHING THE CHEESE INTO STRINGS
The trick to making string cheese is in the stretching. Make mozzarella cheese using either the 30-minute Mozzarella Recipe, or the Traditional Mozzarella Recipe. Before stretching the cheese, make sure the temperature of the curd is about 170°F.
- Pick up the mass of curd and poke a hole in the middle, making a big donut shape.
- Stretch the donut into a long loop.
- Fold the loop in half, making four “ropes” of cheese; stretch it again.
- Fold it again, then stretch it again.
Keep stretching and folding until you have a long mass of thin ropes or strings. When the strings are as thin as desired, shape into a large roll of traditional string cheese or a set of “cheese sticks.”
MAKE A LARGE ROLL OF STRING CHEESE
- For the large roll, fold the cheese until the mass is about 10 to 12 inches long.
- Twist the ends in opposite directions.
Poke the ends back into the cheese mass to secure them. If desired, double it over to make a sort of braided knot.
MAKE STRING CHEESE STICKS
- For the cheese sticks, stretch out the cheese so that it makes a roll about ½ inch in diameter.
- Cut into 6-inch sticks.
- Twist each stick a little, if desired, and pinch the ends together to seal them.
- Set cheese sticks in a dry place to set.
Package the sticks into small containers, for easy transport or storage.
Do you love string cheese? Download our free Cheesemaking Guide and Recipe Book to make your homemade string cheese today!