Use up that never-ending supply of zucchini in the middle of summer! This recipe makes use of zucchini and other flavorful additions to create a tasty topping much like cucumber pickle relish for your favorite grilled meats and salads.
INGREDIENTS AND EQUIPMENT AVAILABLE AT CULTURES FOR HEALTH
- 3 medium zucchini, grated
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- Handful of fresh dill, minced
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. mustard seeds
- 2 Tbsp. sea salt
- Oak, grape, or mesquite leaves (optional)
- Combine all ingredients through sea salt in a medium bowl and gently pound with a Cabbage Crusher or other pounding tool for a few minutes, until a brine begins to form.
- Transfer all ingredients to a quart jar and press down until brine covers vegetables. Leave 1 1/2 inches of headspace at the top of the jar.
- Place leaves on top of vegetables followed by a weight to keep the vegetables submerged.
- Place a lid on the jar and ferment 3 to 10 days at room temperature. If not using an airlock, “burp” jar every day for the first few days to allow gases to escape.
Transfer to cold storage once it is tangy and bubbly.