Sauerkraut in baked goods add texture and a little lift. Don't worry about the loss of probiotics through baking. Use extra or overly soft sauerkraut for this recipe.
INGREDIENTS AND EQUIPMENT AVAILABLE AT CULTURES FOR HEALTH
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 3/4 cup lard or shortening
- 2 cups sauerkraut
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Grease two large cookie sheets.
- Measure flour and pepper into food processor and pulse to mix. Add shortening and continue pulsing until mixture is crumbly like cornmeal.
- Add sauerkraut gradually, blending after each addition, until entire 2 cups has been added. The mixture should be a dough ball in the processor now.
- Turn the dough ball out onto a floured surface. Pull off Tbsp.-sized balls and roll them smooth. Place balls on the greased cookie sheets and flatten with the bottom of a drinking glass, to about 1/4-inch thickness.
- Bake 10 minutes, watching closely and turning crackers as necessary. After 10 minutes, reduce oven temperature to 350°F and bake 10-15 minutes more.
- Remove crackers from oven, scoop onto a cooling rack and cool undisturbed. Once cooled, store in an airtight container.