The slightly cabbage flavor of kohlrabi blends well with those familiar flavors of mustard and dill in this crunchy pickle.
INGREDIENTS AND EQUIPMENT AVAILABLE AT CULTURES FOR HEALTH
- 1 handful of fresh dill
- 1½ tsp. of mustard seed
- 2 Tbsp. sea salt
- 1½-2 cups of water, as needed
- 3 medium kohlrabi, peeled and cut into spears
- Place fresh dill and mustard seed in the bottom of a quart jar.
- Combine water and salt; stir to dissolve.
- Pack kohlrabi spears on top of the herbs and spices, leaving 1½ inches headspace.
- Cover vegetables with brine, adding more water as needed to cover, but leaving 1 inch headspace.
- If necessary, weigh the vegetables down under the brine.
- Cover each jar with a tight lid, airlock lid, or coffee filter secured with a rubber band.
- Culture at room temperature (60-70°F is preferred) until desired flavor and texture are achieved. If using a tight lid, burp daily to release excess pressure.
- Once the vegetables are finished, put a tight lid on the jar and move to cold storage. The flavor will continue to develop.