Early summer yields make this recipe an exciting and simple way to get back into the swing of summer produce fermentations.
- 3-1/2 cups summer squash, shredded
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped fine
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 Tbsp. sea salt
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 2 small sprigs fresh dill
- 1/2 grape leaf
- Black peppercorns, ground coarse
- In a medium bowl, mix together the shredded squash, onion, jalapeño pepper, bell pepper, garlic, red pepper flakes, water and salt. Stir and crush slightly with a wooden spoon or Cabbage Crusher.
- Pack the relish mixture into a jar, quart-sized or larger, pressing down to 1 inch below the rim of the jar. Add the dill and grape leaf, sliding them in against the side of the jar. Cover the jar with an airlock lid or regular lid.
- Set the jar out at room temperature for 2-3 days.
Transfer jar to cold storage. Will keep for 2-3 weeks in the refrigerator.