- 2 -1/4 cup sugar
- 5 cups water, separated
- 1 Tbs. water kefir grains
- 1/4 cup dried hibiscus flower
- 1-2 Tbs. ginger, peeled and chopped roughly
- Combine the 1/4 cup of sugar with three cups of hot top boiling water. Stir until fully dissolved.
- Cool thoroughly and add water kefir grains.
- Cover with a tea cloth and rubber band and set it aside for 48 hours.
- After 48 hours, strain out the water kefir grains.
- Place the sugar water in a large glass jar with the additional 2 cups of water, hibiscus flowers and ginger. Stir well.
- Cover with a coffee filter fastened with a rubber band or other breathable cover.
- Allow the mixture to sit for several days until it reaches your desired level of tartness. Pour over ice and enjoy!
Hibiscus flowers are a seasonal item at Trader Joe’s but also can be found at most Middle Eastern stores. If you live in a warm climate, you may even be able to find them at your local farmer’s market They dehydrated flowers keep for several months in the pantry. Or, you can substitute any tea for the hibiscus leaves to change up the flavor.
Recipe by Lynn Creasy: a marketer who writes creative content that helps avid cooks find adventure in cultured culinary foods.