The BBQ pulled pork sandwich is a classic favorite, so of course, at Cultures For Health, we had to make a gut-healthy recipe! So what makes this sandwich gut-healthy? First, we have the kombucha fermented BBQ sauce that is chock full of probiotics. Next, the whole wheat sourdough buns are much easier to digest than normal white bread buns. These sandwiches also have Lacto-fermented pickles and curtido, which are also full of gut-healing probiotics! Did we mention it also tastes amazing? If you are ready to learn how to make this delicious gut-healthy BBQ pulled pork sandwich, keep reading…
Equipment For Fermented BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- Measuring cups/spoons
- Mixing bowl
- Roasting pan
- Aluminum foil
- Large bag or container
Kombucha BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich Recipe Components
Kombucha BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich
- 1/2 cup of salt
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 2 quarts of cold water
- 3 tbsp of dry rub mix (see below for dry rub ingredients)
- 2 bay leaves
- 4-7 pounds of Boston butt or pork shoulder
Ingredients For The Pulled Pork Dry Rub
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
Ingredients For Brine
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 qts cold water
- 3 tbsp dry rub mix (see below)
- 2 bay leaves
- 4-7 pounds Boston butt or pork shoulder
How To Make Fermented BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- Combine all brine ingredients and mix until salt and sugar are dissolved.
- Put the pork in a large bag or container and pour the brine over it, making sure the pork is submerged. Refrigerate overnight for 8-12 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 300ºF.
- Remove pork from brine and pat dry. Place in a roasting pan, fat side up.
- Massage dry rub into the pork, making sure to cover completely.
- Cover the roasting pan with foil and bake for 3-4 hours or until the pork reaches 180ºF.
- Uncover the pork and bake until the internal temperature reaches 200ºF at the thickest part. This should take 1-2 hours.
- Once 200ºF (or right before for carry-over cooking), remove the pan from the oven and allow the pork to cool for 1-2 hours.
- Shred pork after cooling. We then mix in about 1/2 - 1 cup of the kombucha BBQ sauce and drippings from the pork roasting.
- Now we begin to plate! First, slice your whole wheat sourdough bun in half and add your fermented BBQ pulled pork. Next, add your curtido and Lacto-fermented pickles. Top it with the bun and you are ready to eat!
If you try out this amazing fermented BBQ pulled pork sandwich recipe make sure to show us by tagging us @culturesforhealth on Instagram and TikTok!