A perfect accompaniment for hearty beans and stews on cold winter days.Note: If you do not have access to sprouted flours you can use regular wheat flour in place of the sprouted wheat flour and masa harina in place of the sprouted corn flour. Soak the flour and masa overnight in the buttermilk and then combine with remaining ingredients in the morning.
INGREDIENTS AND EQUIPMENT AVAILABLE AT CULTURES FOR HEALTH
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine flours, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl combine sourdough starter, milk, eggs, and maple syrup. Stir well; add melted butter, and stir again.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry and mix just until thoroughly moistened.
- Pour batter into a 2-quart buttered glass baking dish.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown, and a toothpick inserted in center of bread comes out clean.
Serve piping hot.