Ordinarily, I don’t care for the flavor of raw sourdough items. However, the first time I made these cookies it was difficult to make sure there was enough dough for others to enjoy! My friends, Vegan and non-Vegan alike, really seemed to enjoy these cookies.
These cookies whip up in a snap. They’re so versatile that I encourage you to experiment with what you have on hand. Since there is banana in these cookies and only ¼ cup raw or brown sugar in about 2 dozen cookies, these Vegan Sourdough Everything Cookies can even make a decadent, yet fibrous and wholesome, breakfast treat. If using crystallized ginger as your dried fruit in a batch please keep in mind that those cookies are best consumed just after the cookies have cooled. Crystallized ginger can develop a strange flavor after it has been baked.
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 2 Tbsp. tablespoons flax seeds, preferably ground
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup raw or brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 cups rolled or quick cook oatmeal
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes (optional)
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips (optional)
- 1/2 cup dried fruit (optional, see note above)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Mash banana and mix in flax seeds and sourdough starter. Allow mixture to rest for about 3 minutes.
- Stir in oil, sugar, vanilla, baking soda, salt, oatmeal, cinnamon, nuts, and optional ingredients. Be careful not to over mix.
- Spoon tablespoon amounts onto a greased or parchment lined cookie sheet, approximately 2 inches apart. Gently flatten each cookie with a spoon or wet hands. Bake for 10-12 minutes until cookies are golden. Allow cookies to rest for 2 minutes at room temperature and then transfer to a baking rack to cool fully.