Add an umami tang to red onions. Elevate a sandwich, enliven a salad, or enjoy as a twist on pickled onions.
- 2 medium red onions
- 2 Tbsp. red miso
- 1 tsp. salt
- Additional brine made with 1 teaspoon salt and 1 cup water (optional)
- Slice onions thinly and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Massage in miso and salt and let sit for 20-30 minutes.
- Spoon salted onions into a 1-quart glass jar. After each scoop, compress onions with a Cabbage Crusher or similar device to compact the onions and release the liquids.
- Weigh onions down below the brine, adding additional brine to cover if necessary.
Ferment for at least 1 week. A longer fermentation will yield a more mild flavor.