Making gelatin desserts with water kefir and berries isn’t much of a stretch when you’re making fizzy bottles of berry-infused water kefir already. Simply blend berries with a bit of water kefir, combine with even more water kefir and gelatin, and chill until cold, gelled, and delicious. Make it as sweet as you like with just the right amount of honey.
- 3 cups water kefir, plus more as needed
- 1 cup tightly packed fresh berries
- 3 Tbsp. raw honey (optional)
- Fresh berries (optional)
- 5 Tbsp. gelatin powder
- Combine 1 cup water kefir and berries in a blender. Blend until liquefied. If liquid level has not reached 2 cups, add more water kefir and blend. Add honey, if desired.
- Slice fresh berries, if large, and spread evenly in the bottom of a large glass bowl or baking dish.
- Pour 1 cup water kefir into a small saucepan. Sprinkle gelatin powder over the top and heat over a very low burner. Gently warm mixture in order to dissolve the gelatin powder. Do not overheat mixture, as it will destroy the beneficial probiotics and enzymes of the water kefir.
- Once gelatin begins to dissolve, remove from heat and whisk well, scraping bottom and sides of pan for any gelatin powder sticking to the pan.
- Once gelatin mixture is completely dissolved, combine it with remaining water kefir and blended berry-kefir liquid. Pour mixture over the berries, then place immediately in the refrigerator to chill for 4-8 hours.
Serve plain, with whipped cream or whipped coconut cream.