Buckwheat and lentils may sound like an odd combination, but it’s really quite delicious. And it's a great way to add some variety to your breakfast routine. The flavor is savory, yet slightly sweet, and high in protein. Plus, it’s gluten-free, making it a win-win all the way around.
Prepare the lentils and buckwheat in advance for a quick prep. If you are really pressed for time, use canned beans rather than preparing them from scratch.
- 2 cups buckwheat
- 4 Tbsp. whey, lemon juice, or apple cider vinegar, divided
- 1 cup lentils or other cooked beans
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 tsp. honey or maple syrup
- Juice and grated zest from 1 lemon
- 1/4 tsp. Celtic sea salt
- 1 tsp. fresh chopped tarragon or dill
- 1 cup Queso Fresco or other mild crumbled cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped crispy nuts (nuts that have been soaked and dehydrated)
- Prepare buckwheat and lentils the night before.
PREPARING BUCKWHEAT & LENTILS:
- Toast 1 cup of whole buckwheat groats in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat, stirring or shaking often. Remove from heat.
- Stir in 2 cups water and 2 tablespoons whey, lemon juice, or apple cider vinegar.
- In a separate saucepan, add 1 cup lentils to warm water to cover; add 2 tablespoons whey, lemon juice, or apple cider vinegar.
- Soak each at least 7 hours or overnight.
COOKING BUCKWHEAT & LENTILS:
- In the morning drain and rinse buckwheat and lentils.
- Place lentils in a saucepan and cover with fresh water. Bring to a boil and skim off any foam. Cook, uncovered, 40-60 minutes, or until tender. Drain and measure out 1 cup cooked lentils. Refrigerate the rest for other uses.
- Bring 1½ cups water to boil. Add buckwheat and cook over medium-high heat about 20 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed, adding additional water if the buckwheat is insufficiently tender.
- If grains and beans have been prepared ahead of time and refrigerated, place them in a saucepan or heavy skillet and warm slightly over low heat.
- Mix yogurt with honey, lemon juice, and zest.
- Stir into warm buckwheat-bean combo and fold in herbs, crumbled cheese, and nuts, as desired. Salt to taste. Serve immediately.