WHY SPROUT SOY BEANS?
Soy beans are a versatile, inexpensive legume, good in a variety of recipes. Did you know you can also sprout them?
Soy beans do not sprout as reliably as some other beans. Because of their lower germination rate, soy sprouts can be considered done even if only 50% of them have sprouted. Like other beans, one-quarter inch of sprout is enough to get all the benefit.
PREPARING TO SPROUT SOY BEANS
Before you get started sprouting soy beans, read through these helpful tips:
- There are several varieties of soybean; some are good sprouters and some are not. Our Organic Soy Bean Sprouting Seeds germinate well. If your beans do not sprout well, try another supplier or variety.
- Large beans sprout better in cooler temperatures. Keep sprouting beans around 68-70°F, if possible.
- Large beans require a longer soaking period and more frequent rinsing and draining, especially in warmer temperatures.
- Large beans may not get enough air during draining. Make sure your sprouting container allows plenty of ventilation during draining periods.
- It is normal for the skins to loosen and come off the beans. Either pick the skins out or leave them in as they do not affect the flavor.
- Sprouted beans require cooking before consuming.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR SPROUTING SOY BEANS
- Rinse ½-¾ cup soy beans, remove any stones or other debris, and place in a quart-size jar or other sprouting container.
- Add 2-3 cups water, filling the jar three-quarters full, and cover with a sprouting screen or mesh sprouting lid. Soak soy beans at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain and rinse soy beans thoroughly. Invert the jar over a bowl at an angle so that the beans will drain and still allow air to circulate.
- Repeat rinsing and draining 3-4 times per day until sprout tails appear. Taste sprouts (not beans) daily; discontinue rinsing and draining when sprouts have reached desired length and flavor.
- Drain bean sprouts for several hours before cooking or transferring to a covered container.
Store sprouts in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.