Our Water Kefir Grains are sold in a dehydrated state, so that they are shelf-stable and safe for shipping.
Prior to making water kefir, the grains must be fully activated, as shown in the video above, and as outlined in the included instructions.
Use only cane sugar for making water kefir. Prior to transferring grains to coconut water or fruit juice, make sure the grains are fully activated and making good water kefir using sugar water.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED TO ACTIVATE WATER KEFIR GRAINS
INSTRUCTIONS FOR ACTIVATING WATER KEFIR GRAINS
- Heat 3-4 cups water.
- Pour into glass jar.
- Dissolve ¼ cup cane sugar in the water.
- Cool to 68°-85°F.
- Empty entire packet of dehydrated water kefir grains into cooled sugar water.
- Cover with a coffee filter or cloth, secured by a rubber band.
- Place in a warm spot, 68°-85°F, for 3-4 days.
- After 4 days grains should be plump and translucent. They are now ready to make water kefir. Strain the sugar water off and discard it.
Once your water kefir grains are rehydrated, you are ready to make water kefir at home.