Reminiscent of Caprese salad, this makes a refreshing summer side dish or a vegetarian entrée and is also a great way to feature your homemade fresh mozzarella cheese.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups diced fresh Roma tomatoes
- 1 cup cubed fresh mozzarella
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup minced shallots (or substitute green onions)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Rinse quinoa and soak overnight in 2 cups warm water with 2 Tbsp. whey or apple cider vinegar. In the morning, drain and rinse.
Toast quinoa in a dry skillet over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. When quinoa is toasted, add 1-1/2 cups water, then cover and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes until tender. Transfer to a large bowl and allow to cool to room temperature.
- When quinoa is cool, stir in tomatoes, shallots, basil, garlic, olive oil, and cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.