A great addition to any Indian meal, this chutney is an amalgam of flavors sure to please your palate. Try to use fresh ginger and garlic as they lend a fresher, more developed flavor than ground spices. You can also play with the spiciness by increasing or decreasing the pepper flakes.
- 3 cups ripe mango, diced and peeled
- 2 1/2 tsp. fresh ginger root, minced
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1/2 sweet red onion, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 3 Tbsp. whey
- 2 basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. ed pepper flakes or crushed peppercorns (optional)
- Place all the ingredients in a large bowl and combine. Pour contents into a glass mason jar.
- Place lid on jar and place jar on our kitchen counter or dark cupboard for 2 to 3 days. Bubbles should be visible as part of the fermentation process.
- Taste, and add more salt if desired. If you would like a more fermented flavor, let sit for another day.
Place in the refrigerator and enjoy.