- 1 cup active brown rice sourdough starter
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/2 cups gluten-free flour of your choice
- 2 pastured eggs (or 3 small eggs)
- Finely grated zest of 1 large lemon or 2 small lemons
- 1 Tbsp. gluten-free vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. raw honey
- 3 Tbsp. coconut oil or butter, melted
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda mixed with 1 teaspoon water
- 1-1/2 cup fresh or frozen wild blueberries (the small size of the wild berries makes for better distribution through the batter)
- Additional coconut oil for griddle
- Mix brown rice starter, water, and oat flour together in a large bowl. Cover loosely and let sit overnight in a warm spot. (On top of the refrigerator or in a cupboard near a heat source are good options).
- In the morning stir in eggs, lemon zest, honey, vanilla, coconut oil (or butter), baking powder, and salt. Blend together thoroughly. Stir in baking soda mixture.
- Spoon onto a hot, greased griddle (about 350°F) and scatter about 1-1/2 tablespoons of berries over each pancake. Cook until bubbles break on the surface (about 2 minutes). Turn and cook an additional 1 to 2 minutes until golden brown. Serve hot with honey-lemon syrup, lemon curd or fermented blueberry sauce. Makes 20 to 24 pancakes.