- 1/2 cup fresh brown rice sourdough starter
- 2 large eggs, preferably pasture-raised
- 1/2 cup butter or coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup non-alkalized cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup unrefined cane sugar or 3/4 cup honey
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour blend of your choice
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 batch sour cream chocolate frosting
- Mix brown rice starter with coconut milk and gluten-free flour in a large bowl. Cover loosely and leave on counter overnight or at least 8 hours.
- When ready to bake, line 15 muffin cups with paper liners. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Blend butter (or coconut oil) with cocoa powder and sweetener of choice. Add in eggs and vanilla; mix well.
- Sprinkle baking powder, baking soda, and salt over mixture and whisk in.
- Add in soaked starter, milk, and flour mixture. Stir to combine.
- Fill prepared muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until tops spring back when lightly pressed. Remove cupcakes from pan and cool on wire rack.
Serve plain or with frosting of your choice.