When the dark days of winter come and there is nothing fresh or green to be found, this is the salad that gets you through. With enzymes and probiotics from the sauerkraut, and a few winter-hardy vegetables, this salad brings together the tang of sauerkraut with a sweet punch of honey.
- 4 cups sauerkraut, drained
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4-1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- Sea salt
- Combine the sauerkraut with the chopped vegetables and mustard seeds in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the vinegar and honey and then drizzle in the olive oil while whisking. If the sauerkraut is quite tangy, start with only 1/4 cup of vinegar. Add more to taste.
- Pour dressing over sauerkraut and vegetables and mix well with a large spoon. Cover and marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
Add salt to taste before serving.