Focaccia is an Italian flat bread, generally flavored with herbs and seasonings. This version is gluten-free. If you start on the dough first thing in the morning, by dinner time you will have fresh, flavorful bread.
- 1/3 cup psyllium husks
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1-1/2 cups brown rice sourdough starter
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1-1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup sorghum flour
- 1-1/2 cups tapioca flour
- Cornmeal for the baking sheet
- Additional garlic powder, sea salt, herbs, and olive oil for baking
- In a 2 cup measuring vessel whisk the psyllium into the water. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs then whisk in the olive oil, honey, and sourdough starter. Mix in the psyllium-water mixture, which should now be a gel. Blend until all liquid ingredients are incorporated.
- Add the garlic powder, sea salt, oregano, brown rice flour, sorghum flour, and tapioca flour to the wet ingredients and stir to combine using a wooden spoon or your hands as needed. The dough should be quite sticky. Continue to mix it for several minutes until it seems well incorporated.
- Cover dough and let rest and rise for at least 4 hours.
- Butter a rimmed baking sheet and sprinkle generously with cornmeal.
- Now, knead the dough, adding additional tapioca flour as needed (up to 1/2 cup) until the dough is still sticky, but more a soft dough than a batter.
- Place dough in prepared baking sheet and press dough out using the tips of your fingers. If the dough is too sticky, keep a bowl of water nearby and moisten fingers as needed to keep them from sticking to the dough. Press the dough all the way to the edges of the pan and try to make it as even as possible.
- At this point you can make small divots all over the dough if they aren’t there already. Cover loosely with a damp towel and allow to rise for 2 to 4 hours.
- Once ready to bake, preheat oven to 375°F. Remove towel from dough and drizzle olive oil generously over the top of the bread. Sprinkle with additional garlic powder, sea salt, and herbs if desired.
- Place pan in preheated oven and bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until firm and golden brown. Allow to cool for a few minutes before transferring very carefully to a cooling rack. Slice and serve.