These gluten-free sourdough scones are made easily by dropping the dough onto the baking sheet. This forms a rustic-looking scone that packs delicious texture and flavor. Note that you must use gluten-free oats for this to be fully gluten-free.
- 1/2 cup gluten-free oats
- 1-1/2 cups buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 6 Tbsp. cold butter
- 1/2 cup gluten-free sourdough starter
- 1/2 cup full-fat yogurt or cream
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1-1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- Combine oats and flours in a medium-size bowl. Cut in cold butter until flour texture becomes crumbly. Pour in gluten-free sourdough starter and yogurt or cream and stir with a fork until the dough begins to come together. Knead a few times in the bowl to ensure that everything is well-mixed.
- Cover and let sour 8 to 12 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 425°F. In a small bowl, beat eggs. In a separate small bowl combine raisins, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and baking powder with a fork until well combined.
- Add the eggs and raisin mixture to the soured dough and mix together, using a utensil or your hands if it is too hard to handle. Knead or mix the ingredients together well for a couple of minutes to ensure that everything is well-distributed.
- Grease a baking sheet. Use a large soup spoon or Tbsp. to scoop heaping Tbsp. of dough onto the prepared baking sheet. Leave at least 1 inch of space between scones. You will, most likely, have to bake these in two batches.
Once pan is full, transfer scones to preheated oven and bake 12 to 14 minutes or until set on top and golden brown on the bottom. Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving or transferring to cooling rack.
Check out also our overnight oats recipe with yogurt that you can make at home.