English scones are an unforgettable treat and nothing like the American scones sold at so many large-scale coffee shops. Try this simple recipe using cultured kefir for an extra-tender crumb to your very British scones.
- 2 cups flour (soft wheat or spelt is best)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup milk kefir
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut butter into chunks and cut into flour using fingers or a pastry cutter until the size of small peas.
- Add sugar and slowly mix in kefir until a dough forms. The dough should just hold together and not be too sticky. Knead briefly to bring the dough together and turn out onto a floured surface.
- Roll out into a 1 1/2-inch thick round or rectangle. Use a 2-inch biscuit cutter to cut out the scones and transfer to a baking sheet. Knead together scraps and cut into more scones until all of the dough is used up.
Bake 10-15 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack and serve warm with <a "="" title="How to Make Cultured Butter" href="https://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/cream/how-to-make-cultured-butter/" target="_blank">cultured butter, clotted or whipped cream, and jam.