This sour cream sauce is really, really versatile. It can be used as a gravy for baked turkey, grilled chicken or even fish, or it can be poured over pasta, casseroles (think enchiladas), or drizzled over potatoes for a wonderful side dish. And the extra flavor from homemade sour cream just takes it to another level.
2 1/3 cups
INGREDIENTS AND EQUIPMENT AVAILABLE AT CULTURES FOR HEALTH
This garlic sour cream sauce recipe starts with homemade sour cream. While you can use store bought sour cream, you'll be shocked at the extra flavor that home cultured sour cream brings to the party. Just combine a sour cream starter culture with cream and make healthy, probiotic, tangy sour cream on your countertop. It really is that easy.
Our garlic sour cream sauce recipe is perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re looking for a quick and easy weeknight meal or something special for a party, this sauce will impress your guests! Download your free copy of our cookbooks today!
INGREDIENTS IN MAKING GARLIC SOUR CREAM SAUCE:
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. unbleached white flour
- 1 3/4 cup chicken or turkey broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup green onions
- ¼ cup sour cream
INSTRUCTIONS SOUR CREAM SAUCE RECIPE:
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute garlic in the melted butter; add flour, gradually, working it in well so that there are no lumps. Continue to cook and stir, slowly, until the flour begins to brown. This will create a classic roux that will serve to flavor and thicken the final sauce.
- Slowly pour in the chicken broth, and work it back and forth, adding and stirring at the same time. As the roux mixes in the with broth, the sauce should begin to get thick and creamy.
- Remove sauce from heat and cool slightly before quickly whisking in the sour cream. This will amp up the creamy goodness of this sauce and add that classic sour cream tang. Use the sauce immediately.
This is a great basic sauce that you'll love, but you can also build and expand on it by adding other ingredients. If you sauté onions with the garlic or some mushrooms, you can layer on additional flavors with this sour cream sauce.
Download all the cookbooks to start making your recipe to the highest level.
TAKE THIS SOUR CREAM SAUCE RECIPE TO THE NEXT LEVEL WITH HOMEMADE SOUR CREAM
If you really want to go the extra mile with this sour cream sauce recipe – you should make your own sour cream instead of getting it at the store.
Believe it or not, it’s not as hard as it may seem and Cultures for Health has everything you need to easily start making your own sour cream!
With our Sour Cream Starter Culture, you can make your own sour cream with a few easy steps and some special equipment, all of which we have.
One bag comes with four packets of starter culture and is freeze-dried individually so it will last as long as you need it to.