This cake is a breeze to make in a last minute dessert dash, and it goes superbly with a scoop of Buttermilk Ice Cream, or Chèvre and Cream Cheese Cupcake Frosting for a rich, tangy, cultured dessert.
- 2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1½ cups packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1¼ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¾ tsp. ground cloves
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup lard or butter-flavored shortening
- ½ cup room-temperature water
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a 9x13-inch baking pan and set aside.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
- In a slightly larger bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and whisk to mix well.
- Begin folding the dry ingredients into the large bowl of wet ones, a little at a time, mixing with a whisk after each addition, until everything is fully combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.