These pretzels make a great snack, morning or afternoon!
- 3/4 cup lukewarm water
- 1 1/2 cups sourdough starter
- 3 cups flour
- 1/4 cup Greek-style yogurt, (thick and well-drained)
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baker's yeast
- Melted butter
- Coarse sea salt, for topping
- In a large glass bowl, mix water, sourdough starter, flour, yogurt, sugar, butter, salt and yeast until a soft dough forms. Add more flour if the mixture is too sticky – a little sticky is okay. Knead the dough for 5 minutes, and then place in a greased bowl, covered, to rest for 45 minutes. It won’t rise much.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly greased work surface. Punch dough down a little and then cut into 12 pieces with a very sharp knife. Roll each piece into a 15-inch rope, shape into a classic pretzel and place on a parchment-covered baking sheet.
Brush pretzels with melted butter and sprinkle with coarse sea salt. Bake 25-30 minutes or until light golden brown.