What could be better on a cold morning than a warm-from-the-oven sourdough muffin? Use this basic recipe as a canvas for various flavorings from fruit and nuts to chocolate chips.
Download our Sourdough Recipe book today with tips and tricks to take your Sourdough muffin making to the next level.
- 1/2 cup fresh sourdough starter
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, sifted
- 4-6 Tbsp. water, as needed
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup fruit or nuts (optional)
- The night before, gently mix together starter and flour until just combined. Add water , 1 Tbsp. at a time, until dough is just wet enough to mix.
- Cover with a lid or plastic wrap to keep the dough from drying out. Ferment 8-12 hours or overnight.
- In the morning, preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Whisk in all other ingredients, being careful not to overmix. The dough may be quite stiff at first and may require breaking up with the back of a spoon.
- Fill greased muffin tins 3/4 full with batter and bake 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Download our Sourdough Guide and Recipe book for more information on how to make these homemade muffins today!