A light, fluffy muffin warm from the oven, this chocolate chip muffin will remind you of the white flour muffins of your childhood. Best served warm, these can be reheated gently at a low temperature in the oven the next day.
- 1 cup brown rice sourdough starter
- 1/2 cup milk or cultured dairy
- 1/2 cup each white rice, sorghum, and tapioca flours
- 2 Tbsp. ground flax seed
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- In a medium bowl, mix sourdough starter, milk, flours, and flax seed until combined into a stiff dough. Cover and allow to sour 6 to 12 hours, or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs and whisk in honey, melted butter, and vanilla.
- Sprinkle the baking powder, baking soda, and salt over the soured dough. Pour the egg-honey mixture over this and mix in gently.
- Add the chocolate chips, and finish mixing everything together until well-combined.
- Divide the batter among twelve prepared muffin cups, filling them each nearly full.
Place muffin tin in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until the tops are set, the bottom has browned, and a knife inserted comes out clean. Remove and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.