What’s one thing you miss eating after going vegetarian or vegan? If you said bacon, then you are in for a treat with this recipe! BLTs are just not the same without the “B”. That’s why we decided to try our vegetarian bacon, also known as tempeh bacon!
Tempeh is traditionally an Indonesian dish made from fermented soybeans. Tempeh is often overshadowed by the well-known tofu, but tempeh deserves its own podium. Tempeh is packed full of protein but without all the added sugars and sodium. It is also a great source of fiber and probiotics which is great for people who have a sensitive stomach or IBS. There is a large list of benefits of tempeh!
Many people who are cutting meat out of their diet turn to tempeh when they need a replacement for bacon or ground beef. This is because tempeh has a distinguished, tangy flavor that is similar to bacon. When cut thinly, it also takes on the same crunchiness as bacon, making it a fantastic vegan bacon tempeh replacement.
Enough talk about tempeh, let’s learn how to make tempeh bacon!
Equipment You Need To Make Tempeh Bacon:
- A large bowl
- A non-stick skillet
- Cutting board
Ingredients for Tempeh Bacon Recipe:
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of your favorite syrup; we recommend honey from fermented honey garlic, but maple or agave syrup work just fine!
- 1 tablespoon of fermented hot sauce (or just regular hot sauce)
- 1 ½ tablespoon of liquid smoke to get the traditionally smokey flavor of bacon
- Optional: 1 teaspoon of cumin
- Pinch of salt and pinch of pepper
- 8 ounces of tempeh, this can either be store-bought or made with Cultures For Health’s tempeh starter. We also sell soy-free tempeh starters for those who are allergic to soy! Make tempeh with black beans, garbanzo beans, mung beans, or any kind you would like. Follow this homemade tempeh recipe if you haven’t already.
Instructions To Make Tempeh Bacon:
- Start by making the marinade. To make the marinade, combine the soy sauce, syrup, hot sauce, liquid smoke, cumin, and salt and pepper into the large bowl.
- Once you have stirred the contents well, it’s time to thinly slice your tempeh. If you want your tempeh bacon extra crispy, slice the tempeh as thinly as possible.
- Marinate your now sliced tempeh in the marinade. Leave this for however long you want. If you have a lot of time, leave it overnight in the fridge so it can really absorb that smokey flavor. If you are in a rush, just a few minutes will work just fine!
- Heat the olive oil in the skillet until it is sizzling.
- Once the skillet is hot enough, carefully add your tempeh bacon to the skillet.
- Cook bacon for about 2 minutes on each side.
- Remove from the skillet and pat with a paper towel to remove excess grease.
Now you are ready to prepare the fake-bacon! Add this to any sandwich, crumble it into a salad, or eat it on its own. Step up any meal with tempeh bacon with all the protein and none of the meat!