Working with non-dairy milks can be a bit tricky and some brands of ingredients may work better than others. This coconut yogurt recipe was tested using Native Forest and Natural Value brands of coconut milk and Great Lakes brand gelatin. NOTE: To make a smaller batch of non-dairy yogurt, use 2 cans of coconut milk and 1½ teaspoons gelatin with 1 full packet of Vegan Yogurt Starter. If you're on a vegan diet, this recipe may not be for you. Check out all the other options for thickening yogurt here!
Making homemade yogurt is a great option to save money and get the health benefits of probiotics. Download our Yogurt Recipe book, which contains tips and tricks for making delicious coconut milk yogurt in no time today!
- 4, 13.5-ounce cans of additive-free coconut milk (guar gum is okay)
- 2 Tbsp. gelatin
- 1 packet Vegan Yogurt Starter Culture
- Heat coconut milk to 115ºF.
- Remove one cup of coconut milk.
- Sprinkle gelatin into this cup slowly while mixing well.
- Add back to the rest of the coconut milk and mix well.
- Cool to 110ºF, then add culture. Mix well.
- Pour into a clean jar and cover with a coffee filter, secured with a rubber band, or pour into yogurt maker container and follow manufacturer's instructions for covering the containers.
- Culture at 108º F for 6 to 8 hours in a yogurt maker or similar appliance.
- Shake or stir and refrigerate. Yogurt will not thicken until after refrigeration time. Thickening may take up to 24 hours.
Make your delicious yogurt home, and download your Yogurt Guide and Recipe book today!