When you have an abundance of kefir, this recipe provides a good way to use it up. It's also a good way to use over-cultured kefir that has a strong flavor.
- Milk kefir
- Fresh or dried herbs, such as Herbs de Provence
- Pour the milk kefir into a bowl lined with butter muslin, a cotton bag, or tight-weave cloth.
- Gather up corners of cloth and hang above bowl or jar and drain for 6-8 hours, or until the desired thickness is achieved. Save the whey in a closed container in the refrigerator.
- Mix herbs into the kefir cheese and refrigerate for 2+ hours to allow the flavors to meld.
- Serve as a soft cheese spread on crackers or bread. Also makes a wonderful vegetable dip.