This recipe is a variation on a recipe found in an old cookbook published in the 1940s. It is a delicious combination of the flavors of homemade cheese and fresh spinach. Serve it with garlic bread and salad for dinner or as a quick breakfast with a glass of milk. You can also make this pie with asparagus instead of spinach.
- 1 (9-inch) pie crust
- Olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach, washed, squeezed dry, and chopped coarse
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lb. homemade ricotta
- 1 cup homemade mozzarella
- 1 cup homemade parmesan
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter a pie pan, and roll out the pie crust, placing it into the pie pan and folding under, crimping and trimming the edges.
- Heat about 1/2 tablespoonful of olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and cook it until it has softened. Stir in the spinach and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until it is all blended and tender.
- Combine all the cheeses into a large bowl. Whisk in the eggs. Stir in the cooked spinach and onions, mixing it all very well.
Spoon the cheese/ spinach mixture into the piecrust. Place in the oven and bake until the filling is set right through to the center and the crust is golden, about 35 to 40 minutes. Let it cool before serving.