Make this cake for your next special occasion and enjoy the rave reviews you’ll receive. No one will ever guess what the “secret” ingredient is! While it’s true you will lose the probiotic benefit of the sauerkraut when you cook it, this is great way to use up sauerkraut that is softer than you would prefer, and the acid in the sauerkraut will add lightness as well as flavor.
INGREDIENTS AND EQUIPMENT AVAILABLE AT CULTURES FOR HEALTH
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cup unrefined cane sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup sauerkraut, drained, rinsed, and chopped fine
- 2 cups unbleached flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup non-alkalized cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup cold coffee or water
- 1 recipe Chocolate Sour Cream Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare one 9x13-inch pan or two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans by lining with parchment and buttering.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until fluffy. Beat in eggs, vanilla, and sauerkraut.
- In a separate bowl mix flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Alternately add flour mixture and coffee into sauerkraut mixture, blending after addition until smooth.
- Pour batter into pans. Bake 25-35 minutes, until cake top springs back when lightly pressed.
- Remove from oven. Cool completely on wire racks before frosting.