This loaf of gluten-free sourdough bread is hearty, like a whole grain wheat bread. It is delicious sliced thick, spread with butter, and served alongside soup. Instead of gums, this recipe utilizes eggs and freshly ground flax seed as the binders. This creates a nice loaf that holds together while retaining a hearty whole grain texture.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1-1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt
- 1 cup fresh gluten-free sourdough starter
- 3/4 cup ground flax seed
- 1 cup millet flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 3/4 cup potato starch
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs. Mix in milk, salt, starter, flax seed, and flours until completely blended. The dough will be stretchy and sticky and will not require kneading.
- Transfer to a small, buttered loaf pan and cover with plastic wrap. Place in a warm place to rise for 6 to 8 hours, depending on the temperature.
- Once bread has risen to the top of the pan, preheat oven to 425°F degrees.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 190°F. Remove from pan and allow to cool on rack completely before slicing.