Tangy kefir combines with rich cream and egg yolks to form the base of this sweet, tangy, warm, and spicy apple-cinnamon ice cream. Who needs the pie when the ice cream and pie flavor can come all in one package? Note: Please exercise caution when consuming raw eggs or products made with raw eggs.
- 2 cups milk kefir (replace 1 cup with kefir cheese for an ultra-creamy result)
- 2 cups cream, milk, or half-and-half
- 6 egg yolks (can use pasteurized egg yolks if desired)
- 2 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup raw honey or maple syrup
- 1-1/2 cups chopped apples, tossed in a small bowl with lemon juice
- In a large bowl whisk together all ingredients except apples. Chill in refrigerator 1-2 hours.
- Once fully chilled, pour into ice cream maker and churn as directed. Once the ice cream begins to thicken, or when manufacturer’s instructions indicate, add chopped apples. Complete churning and serve as soft serve or freeze to harden.
- No ice cream maker? Choose one of the options in this article on How to Make Cultured Ice Cream Without a Machine.