This gluten-free chocolate chip cookie recipe is a great way to use discarded starter. Sour the dough until they are as tangy as you like, or make them immediately if you’re in a hurry.
- 1/2 cup butter, very soft
- 1/2 cup gluten-free sourdough starter
- 3/4 cup superfine white rice flour
- 1/4 cup sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup potato or tapioca starch
- 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- Mix butter and sourdough starter together in a medium bowl beating until well combined. Add superfine rice flour, sorghum flour, potato starch, and xanthan gum and mix together until a very stiff dough comes together. If the dough doesn’t reach this stage, add a little bit more sorghum flour until it does.
- Cover bowl and sour 4-8 hours, if souring is desired.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease baking sheet with butter or cover with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs. Add honey, vanilla, and salt; mix well. Blend mixture into the soured dough. Pour chocolate chips over the mixture and sprinkle the baking soda on top.
- Blend until everything is well combined. Drop dough by the spoonful onto prepared baking sheet. Bake approximately 12 minutes, or until cookies are just set on top and golden-brown on the bottom.
Cool briefly on baking sheet before transferring to cooling rack.
Ready to Learn More?
- Gluten-free Sourdough Molasses Spice Cake
- Gluten-free Sourdough Chocolate Cupcakes
- Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Egg-free Sourdough Banana Fritters
- Sourdough Expert Advice Articles, Videos & Recipes
- An Introduction to Working With Gluten-free Sourdough
- A Guide to Flour Substitutions in Gluten-free Sourdough Baking