Who doesn’t love a good BLT sandwich, whether it’s paired with soup after a cold winter’s day or paired with potato chips after a swim at the pool? For those who are vegetarian, however, a BLT isn’t much of a sandwich without the B. That’s why we decided to replace the B with T, also known as, tempeh! Tempeh is a great vegan and vegetarian substitute for bacon in this classic sandwich.
Download our Sourdough Recipe book today and make your delicious tempeh bacon on sourdough discard flatbread! With our easy-to-follow instructions, you can whip up this tasty sandwich quickly.
For those of you who miss the classic taste of a BLT after going vegetarian, Cultures For Health has the perfect recipe for you! This tempeh bacon BLT on sourdough discard flatbread is a true masterpiece. Starting with the sourdough discard flatbread that reduces our food waste by using up your extra sourdough starter, while also being delicious. This tangy, soft Sourdough Flatbread really takes a BLT to the next level! Next, we have the tempeh bacon. Tempeh, the cousin of tofu, is the perfect substitute for bacon because of its firm texture and great nutrition. Lastly, we need a mayo substitute, which is why we created our own spicy yogurt sauce recipe, which tastes amazing and adds a little kick to your sandwich.You can also try making our spicy sandwich spread recipe at home.
Let’s find out how to make it…
Ingredients to Make Our BLT on Sourdough Discard Flatbread:
- Tempeh bacon. Check out our recipe on how to make your very own tempeh bacon. Don't forget your tempeh starter!
- Sourdough discard flatbread. This recipe is a great way to reduce your own food waste.
- Spicy yogurt sauce made with your own cultured yogurt. Check out our yogurt starters to get started on making your own.
How To Make Our BLT on Sourdough Discard Flatbread
- The first step is to prepare your sourdough discard flatbread. Sourdough discard is the part of your sourdough starter you typically would throw away when feeding. It is extremely flavorful and we don’t like to waste food at Cultures For Health so we decided to make our own recipe to share with you.
- The next step is to cook your tempeh bacon. This is a great substitute for bacon for those who are vegan or vegetarian. It has an incredible taste that will have you thinking “bacon who?”
- It's time to start assembling your sandwich! Start spreading your spicy yogurt sauce mayo substitute on the sourdough discard flatbread. Then, place your bacon on top of the spread. Next, add your lettuce and then tomatoes.
- Enjoy your vegetarian, food waste-conscious tempeh BLT!
Now you are ready to make the gut-friendly and vegetarian version of the household classic BLT! Share with us on Instagram or Tik Tok if you make this recipe: @culturesforhealth