The best apple cider happens once a year, in those lovely days of fall. Fresh apples are pressed to create a tangy-sweet juice, which can then be fermented to make a most delicious and refreshing hard cider. Flavoring water kefir with apple gives it a delicious faint apple cider flavor. It is light, crisp, and refreshing and, because it is water kefir, full of probiotics. You can use either apple juice or fresh apples for this, the latter being more exciting for the fruit-tree enthusiast.
INGREDIENTS AND EQUIPMENT AVAILABLE AT CULTURES FOR HEALTH
- 3 1/2 cups water kefir
- 1/2 apple (sweet or sweet-tart), diced, OR 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1 tsp. sugar (optional)
- Remove water kefir grains from water kefir and pour water kefir into an airtight bottle.
- Add sugar for extra sweetness, if desired.
- Shake bottles to distribute apple or apple juice and sugar. Leave tightly capped at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- Open carefully in case of extreme carbonation, strain off apple, and serve chilled. Store in the refrigerator to preserve freshness.