Canned fruits tend to be quite soft and not nearly as flavorful as fresh, frozen, or dried fruits. During the canning process much of the sugar and flavor from the fruit ends up in the syrup. Consider using the syrup from the canned fruit as flavoring for water kefir. Canned peaches make a particularly nice light flavoring for water kefir.
INGREDIENTS AND EQUIPMENT AVAILABLE AT CULTURES FOR HEALTH
- 3-4 cups finished water kefir
- 1/4 cup syrup from canned fruit
- Add finished water kefir to a quart-size bottle with a tight-fitting cap; pour in fruit syrup. Seal bottle.
- Swirl bottle to distribute the juice. Ferment at room temperature 24-72 hours.
- Store in the refrigerator. When ready to drink, open carefully in case of extreme carbonation; serve chilled.