Soft cheeses are some of the simplest cheese recipes, making them great for beginners. However, simple doesn’t have to mean boring! Soft cheese can be an amazing party treat, a delicious appetizer, and even a rich dessert. Here are a few ideas to get you started.
SOFT CHEESE HERBED DIP RECIPES
Fromage blanc, cream cheese, and other soft cheeses blend well with fresh herbs. These recipes for delicious dips can be served with raw veggies, crackers, or bread slices.
- Fromage Blanc Basil Dip
- Lemon-Rosemary Goat Cheese
- Herbed Chèvre Spread
- Sage Cream Cheese with Yogurt
SOFT CHEESE VEGETABLE DIPS AND TOPPINGS
These combinations are reminiscent of old favorites, or feel free to mix up your own flavor ideas:
- Spinach dip: Mix cream cheese with chopped spinach, minced garlic, and a few tablespoons of sour cream. Melt in a low oven or crockpot and serve with celery and carrot sticks, or use as a filling for stuffed mushrooms.
- Spicy cheese: Add diced jalapenos, ½ teaspoon ground cumin, and chopped cilantro to queso blanco. Use as a topping for tacos or a filling for enchiladas.
- Veggie cheese: Finely dice carrots, celery, parsley, and sweet onions; mix with fromage blanc. Spread inside bell pepper wedges or use as a topping for scrambled eggs.
Horseradish cheese: Add a tablespoon of grated horseradish root to chèvre. Serve a scoop on top of steak or prime rib.
SOFT CHEESE RECIPES WITH NUTS
Softer nuts like pistachios go so well with soft goat cheese, as in these easy but elegant recipes:
SOFT CHEESE MAIN DISH RECIPES
- Tarragon and chive cheese: Roughly chop a few sprigs of fresh tarragon and a handful of chives. Add to cheese and mix. Serve on top of chicken with roasted green beans and a glass of chilled white wine for a romantic summer dinner.
Vinegar cheese “pancakes”: Mix ½ pound of freshly drained vinegar cheese (e.g., queso blanco) with two eggs, and a little sea salt. Press into patties and fry in butter for breakfast. Serve with fruit.
SOFT CHEESE DESSERT RECIPES
Soft cheese with just a hint of sweetness added makes a creamy, rich dessert. Introduce these new recipes to your family or serve to guests as a special treat, with your homemade soft cheese:
- Easy cheese dessert: Place a wedge of soft cheese on a plate, and surround with fresh or frozen berries. Drizzle with honey or maple syrup for a fabulous, low-carb, protein-rich end to any meal.
- Mascarpone Semifreddo
- No-cook Chocolate Ricotta Pudding
- Pears with Honey and Blue Cheese
Soft cheeses are also great in grilled cheese sandwiches, as icing for carrot cake, on bagels, as an omelet filling, or topped with homemade jam. Let your imagination run wild! Above all, experiment and have fun!