This cake is sweet enough for dessert, but not too sweet to serve as a breakfast coffee cake. Thick homemade applesauce is preferable, but any applesauce will make a nice cake.
EASY CREAM CHEESE ICING:
- 1 cup cream cheese (or one 8-ounce package)
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 1/4-1/3 cup honey
Beat ingredients together and spread on cooled cake.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1-1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup rapadura or other whole cane sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup fresh sourdough starter
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (preferably soaked and dried)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare a 9x13-inch glass baking pan by greasing sides and bottom well.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, salt and spices.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar together until well mixed. Stir in eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla, sourdough starter, and applesauce; mix well.
- Add flour mixture to sourdough mixture, a little at a time, until thoroughly blended. Stir in nuts and raisins. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 45 minutes, or until top springs back when pressed lightly or toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool completely and frost with cream cheese frosting or serve plain.