Make delicious elderberry syrup and use it to flavor water kefir or your favorite fermented beverage.
- ½ cup dried elderberries
- 2 cups water
- 1 cinnamon stick (optional)
- 1-2 Tbsp. freshly grated ginger (optional)
- 1-2 whole cloves (optional)
- 1 cup raw honey
- 3-4 cups water kefir, grains removed
- Heat elderberries, water, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves in a saucepan over low heat. Simmer until water reduces by half.
- Cool and strain solids from the liquid.
- Stir in honey.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of the elderberry syrup to finished water kefir. Pour into airtight bottles.
- Ferment at room temperature for up to 72 hours, or until desired flavor and carbonation is achieved.
Store in the refrigerator. Open carefully in case of extreme carbonation and serve chilled.