Every once and a while it is fun to switch things up just a bit. Adding peanut butter to the batter of your morning pancakes will give it just enough flair to keep your family loving those sourdough surprises. These pancakes are egg-free and utilize a bit of ground flax to act as a binder.
- 2 cups sourdough starter
- 1 Tbsp. ground flax seeds
- 1/3 cup creamy natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup milk, or more as needed to thin
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- pinch of salt
- Pour starter in a bowl and mix in flax, peanut butter, and milk. Allow to stand 5 minutes in order for the flax to hydrate. Add additional milk to reach a pancake batter consistency, if needed.
- Sprinkle baking soda, baking powder and salt evenly over batter. Whisk just until combined.
- Pour in 1/4 cup increments onto a hot, greased griddle and cook until bubbles begin to pop and edges firm up. Flip and cook a couple more minutes.
- Serve with syrup or jam for a peanut butter-jelly combination.